07/13/2007

Chinese food 'made from cardboard'

BEIJING, China (AP) -- Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial chemical and flavored with fatty pork and powdered seasoning, is a main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in one Beijing neighborhood, state television said.

The hidden camera follows the man, whose face is not shown, into a ramshackle building where steamers are filled with the fluffy white buns, traditionally stuffed with minced pork. The surroundings are filthy, with water puddles and piles of old furniture and cardboard on the ground.

"What's in the recipe?", the reporter asks. "Six to four", the man says. "You mean 60 percent cardboard? What is the other 40 percent?" asks the reporter. "Fatty meat", the man replies. "I don't eat them myself."

Thanks to CNN

The comments are closed.